Saturday, April 09, 2011

Looking at the context, bigger picture

These days, since I joined a new company for almost a year, I have been learning new things. Not too much in knowledge and hard skills, in fact due to most of the time spent in fire fighting I almost learn none.

But I learn a lot about Emotional Intelligence. I am now still reading Daniel Goleman's book. Also just read a very short book about NLP, and I quite like some of the concepts. For example, putting things in context and defining a state. Last time I used to easily annoyed of office politics, some petty people sent stupid emails, worse cc to everyone, to the bosses. Normally I could feel tired for weeks for those episodes. If not, I would try to stage a revenge.

I now try to look at the context and bigger picture. A sarcastic, knife-sharp cutting emails from colleagues, means absolutely nothing in the ocean of life. The big picture of life's journey, where my wife, kids, parents, and God is in the pictire, looks much bigger and overshadow that kind of incident. The context is that ' as you grow old, you'll realise you could not be too petty over small matters'. The earth grave is not too far away, and we may lose the big picture of God's plan, His thought, His dream about our life, should we are too engrossed in small matters.

If we look at the big picture, things that inject angst in our lifes, like 'fear of losing job', fear of poverty, fear of humiliation - it really does not matter. Life is short, and once you cross over 35, you are more likely to be reminded of the short term rental we have on earth. It is now, that I can understand more, why it was wrong for the Israelites to cry over meats, waters, and other convenience stuffs, when they were marching to the Promised Land, the Holy City of God.

No comments: