Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Yeast of the Pharisees and Herod

14The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, except for one loaf they had with them in the boat. 15“Be careful,” Jesus warned them. “Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod.”
16They discussed this with one another and said, “It is because we have no bread.”
17Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: “Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? 18Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? And don’t you remember? 19When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”
“Twelve,” they replied.
20“And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”
They answered, “Seven.”
21He said to them, “Do you still not understand?”


This is one of the difficult passage. I guess, not easy to understand. How on earth, the yeast, bread and some chit-chat about left over can be simply summarised with, "Do you still not understand?"

No ! Of course, I don't understand.

That night as I read through my heart was filled with joy. As the passage is really talking about my situation. 

Jesus was talking about spiritual things. His disciples' mind is not there. They are more concerned, worried, interested, engaged, devoted on the real matter. The bread.

The food on the table. The bills to pay. The money we need to buy things in the world, be it for ourselves or even for ministry. The kids' education. The job security. Money, money and money. $$$$....

I remember years ago, at a night Bible class at Singapore Bible College. We were studying Thessalonian's letters. We discussed about rapture and eschatology. I remember I asked the question, 'What's the relevancy of all those for our lives? Rapture, end time, when it comes it will come. What matter now is how we are going to pay the house loan and those bills....'

Nobody was impressed with that question, and the lecturer brushed off the question.

I still ask that question today, and today I read Jesus told the disciples, "Did not you just have seen and experienced all the miracles (that I multiplied the bread to feed the 4 and 5 thousands) to show that I PROVIDE, I AM THE PROVIDER - that you even have the left overs! Hello....how many left overs did you have?? ...... Can you count, please? How many that one? And the other one?

......

.....

Do you still not understand?



No comments: